Our theme for ‘Live Love, Stop Hate’ in 2019-2020 will be to Live Love for God’s Environment. We hope to work to:
1. Become known as Elgin’s environmental church.
2. Reduce our carbon footprint by 40% by 2022 by adding solar energy, conserving and other measures.
3. Educate ourselves and community about the environmental crisis and what we can do about it.
4. Build a stronger Christian-environmental connection. Too often churches are viewed as the enemy of the environmental movement. We must change that both by actions and by building the theological case for the care of the earth.
5. Explore interfaith partnerships for eco-justice.
Previous year’s themes included addressing religious and racial intolerance and the opioid epidemic in our community. The ‘Live Love’ theme allows us to focus our mission outreach and our ‘in-reach’ as we learn more about crucial issues of our day and how our faith connects with the wounds of society.